What to do with that bitter lettuce?

Well, I’m determined to do something with it… will try a Saag Paneer sometime next week, but in the meantime, I’m throwing the stuff into my blender by the handful… it’s actually pretty good!

Here I am with my latest concoction:

My Liquid Lunch

1. 2 Big handfuls of bitter lettuce + one big leaf of swiss chard, and a smattering of bitter spinach
  2. 20 blueberries
  3. 1 cup water
  4. 2 Tbs of strawberry yogurt

Put it all in the blender, blend, and drink.

Okay, so I might not be the best person to listen to given that I’ve already lost my sense of smell and for all I know this thing tastes disgusting… but as far as my taste buds are concerned, it’s pretty good!

Alright, enough goofing off… lunch is over, back to work!

Cheers

David

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to What to do with that bitter lettuce?

1. Hannah says:

dude, you might want to increase that to 500 blueberries to off set the “2 big handfuls” of bitter lettuce! Do you kiss your wife with the bitter lettuce mouth?!

You are a very brave man, David LaPuma.

love you!

2. Brian Clough says:

Dave, as an ardent supporter of creative vegetable/fruit combinations, I commend you for your ingenuity. However, that sounds completely disgusting.

3. Puk says:

Have you not heard my Green Smoothie speech? Vegan recipes for sweet and savory green smoothies coming your way.

Got any stinging nettle? I’m totally serious.

4. Binga says:

Hey, the spinach is still good, don’t drink it all.

5. I love green smoothies, although I make mine all Raw and all vegan. The nutritional profile is so amazing and the results… high energy, reduced cravings for bad things, weight loss, loads of nutrients and fiber… LOVE IT! 🙂

I love:
    1-2 cups water
    1 handful spinach
    2 apples (red delicious variety are shown to have the highest level of phytonutrients)
    1/4-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Blend it up and enjoy a delicious and almost “fluffy” smoothie 🙂

Cheers,
    Kristen

6. And I thought I was so original! (actually, I didn’t, I remember a friend’s ex-girlfriend expounding on the nutritional benefits of juicing lettuce… she was a bit nutty though). Thanks for your comments and recipes.

Kristen, I totally made one just like your recipe today, but will have to add some cinnamon next time; SWEET!

Thanks to Puk for dropping me a photocopied set of recipes from Victoria Boutenko’s book Green For Life

Yes, in appears the combinations are endless… and so is my supply of bitter lettuce; so contestants: START YOUR BLENDERS!

7. The cinnamon is delicious.

Also, nutmeg goes wonderfully with dark leafy greens, so if you make a smoothie with kale, you might add a couple dashes of nutmeg for fun 🙂

8. vona says:

okay you chefs. i used to go to the dining hall and put everyone’s left overs in a glass and mix it up and drink it for 3 bucks (sometimes 4, depending on nr. of ppl at the table) it went something like this:

1. salad
    2. fries
    3. veggie soup
    4. fried rice
    5. lo mein
    6. ketchup

it also causes weight loss, cuz you run back to your room at full speed (exercise) and you puke (calorie loss).

SHA BAM!!

9. Who needs spammers when you can have Vona’s sick recollections plastered to your comments section…

🙂

Love it.

10. david fernandis says:

You are a very brave man. I like you. I want to know more about you.
    _____________________________